Effective May 23, 2018
Who We Are
The Life Extension Advocacy Foundation (“LEAF”, “We”, “Us”, or “Our”) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in New York, USA. Our mission is to raise funds and awareness for biomedical research aimed at extending healthy human lifespan. One such way we do this is through our funding platform Lifespan.io.
How This Policy Applies
In order for you to create a Lifespan.io account and use our services, we need to collect and process some of your information. Depending on your use of the Service, this may include:
- information (such as your name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, and country of residence) that you provide by completing forms as part of the Service, including if you register as a user of the Service, subscribe to email updates, upload or submit any material through the Service, or request any information;
- your login and password information, in connection with account registration and sign in;
- details of any requests or transactions made through the Service. We partner with other companies (such as Stripe) for payment processing, and the payment information you submit is collected and used by them in accordance with their privacy policies (for Stripe’s, visit here). We do not store your payment data, such as credit card information, on our Service;
- information regarding your activity on and interaction with the Service, such as IP address;
- information about the ways people visit and interact with our Service, in the form of traffic analytics. You can opt out of being included in Google Analytics here;
- information you send to us directly (support emails, questions, etc);
- information submitted to the Service in form of comments and messages to other users; and
- the email address associated with your Facebook or Twitter account, if you choose to sign up using your Facebook or Twitter credentials. We will also request permission to access your name and profile picture (related permissions are governed by Facebook and Twitter’s privacy policies, and can be managed via the settings of each service). We will never post anything to your Facebook, Twitter, or other third-party accounts without your permission.
You may decline to provide us with your information. However, this will limit your ability to register for an account or use our Services.
Uses of Your Data
We will use the personal information you provide for the following purposes:
- keep your account secure and to protect our Service, including verifying your identity when logging in to the Service;
- enable us to provide you with the features of the Service;
- allow us to contact you regarding any question you ask of Us;
- send you information We believe will be of use to you or which you have requested of Us;
- analyze the use of the Service to improve available content on and performance of the Service; and
- other purposes that We disclose to you when We request your information.
European Union Users
Data protection law in Europe requires a “lawful basis” for collecting and retaining personal information from citizens or residents of the European Economic Area. Our lawful bases include the following:
- Performing the contract we have with you: In certain circumstances, we require your personal data to comply with our contractual obligation to deliver the Services, enable project creators to establish and display their projects, and enable supporters to find and make pledges to these projects.
- Legal compliance: Sometimes law states we need to collect and use your data. For example, tax laws require us to retain records of pledges and payments made through our Services.
- Legitimate interests: This essentially means we have a good and fair reason to use your data and we do so in ways which do not hurt your interests and rights. We sometimes require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way that might reasonably be expected as part of running our Service and that does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests. We may use identity, device, and location information, for instance, to prevent fraud and abuse and to keep our Service secure. We may also send you promotional communications about our Service, subject to your right to control whether we do so.
- We analyze how users interact with our Service so we can better understand user experience. This allows us to improve and develop the quality of the Service.
How Information Is Shared
When you create an account on Lifespan.io, we create a basic profile page for you consisting of some of your information, such as your account name, and metrics on the Service, such as projects you’ve created. If your profile is public, whenever your account name appears on the site (for instance, when you post comments, send messages, or contribute to projects), users of the Service can click your account name to see your profile. Here is some of the information that will be publicly viewable on your profile, or elsewhere on the site:
- your account name and the date it was created;
- any information you choose to add to your profile, such as picture or biography;
- projects you have created on the Service;
- projects you have contributed to on the Service; and
- public comments you have posted on the Service.
If you would like to have a public profile, but don’t want others to see your name or personal image on the Service, you may choose an account image and/or name that is not identifiable (e.g., StarWarsFan57). You have the ability to modify or delete certain information associated with your account (such as your display name, profile image and biography) from your account settings.
This data will not be publicly displayed or revealed to other users of the Service:
- payment information you provide;
- your password information;
- your IP address;
- your phone number; and
- communications you send to us, such as support emails and questions.
We will not share your information with any third-party services, except when necessary to provide the Service to you (such as with payment processing companies). When we share data with third-party services that support our delivery of this Service, we require that they use your information only for the purposes we’ve authorized, and that they protect your personal information at least to the same standards we do. We may also share information that’s aggregated and anonymized such that it doesn’t directly identify you.
Data Shared Only With Project Creators
When you contribute to a project, the project’s creator will receive your account name, the amount you have pledged, and the reward you have selected. Creators will never receive a contributor’s credit card details or other payment information.The creator may also receive information needed to provide your reward, such as email and shipping address.
Project Creators are required to keep contributor information confidential, except as strictly necessary to communicate with contributors directly and fulfill campaign rewards. Project Creators should not ask for personal information that is unnecessary to provide your reward, and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or credit card information. Contact us at email@example.com if you receive a request for information that you believe to be unnecessary or inappropriate. Project Creators may also receive routine traffic analytics data about their project campaign pages.
Modifying Your Information
If you are a registered user of the Service, we provide you with tools and account settings to access or modify the personal information you provided to us. To modify this information, please log in to the Service and visit your account page.
Compliance With Law Enforcement
We do reserve the right to disclose personal information when doing so is necessary to comply with the law or law enforcement, to prevent fraud or abuse, or protect our legal rights.
Links to Other Sites and Services
We will send you email relating to your transactions on the Service. You may also elect to receive certain marketing and service-related email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time.
Cookies and related technologies also make interacting with social media platforms more seamless. When you are signed into social media accounts while you use our Services, for instance, these cookies and related technologies enable you to share content with your social network or, with some social networks, log in to our Services using your social media credentials. Such features are typically controlled by the social media platform and are thereby governed by its separate privacy policies and the preferences you set within that service.
The security of your personal data is important to us and a matter we take seriously. We follow industry-standard practices to protect the data we collect and maintain, including using Transport Layer Security (TLS) to encrypt information as it traverses the internet. No method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage is completely secure, however, so We cannot guarantee its absolute security. Your account information is protected by a password, which you should choose carefully and keep secure. We encourage the responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities of our Service by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Protection Officer
To contact our Data Protection Officer, please email email@example.com.
Data Protection Authority
Subject to applicable law, if you are a citizen or resident of the European Economic Area, you also have the right to (i) object to Our use of your personal information and (ii) lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority or the United Kingdom Information Commissioner’s Office.
People under 18 (or the legal age in your jurisdiction) are not permitted to use the Service on their own. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and children under 13 are not permitted to register for an account or use our Service. If you believe that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personally identifiable information, we will delete it.
Changes to this Policy
If you have any questions or suggestions for us, please contact us. Thank you.
UPDATED MAY 23, 2018