Effective May 23, 2018
Acceptance of Terms
Modification of Terms
Lifespan.io may amend the Terms at any time by posting a revised version of the Terms on our website. Your access to or continued use of the Service after the effective date of the revised Terms constitutes your acceptance of the modified Terms. It is Your sole responsibility to check the Site from time to time to view any such changes or modifications to these Terms. If You do not agree to all of the changes or modifications, if and when such changes may be made to these Terms, You must cease use of the Site.
Rules and Conduct
- Are able to form a binding contract in Your jurisdiction and that all registration information You submit is accurate and truthful;
- Are solely responsible for the activity that occurs while using the Service;
- Are solely responsible for content You submit to the Service, including comments, images, and profile information
- Shall not take any action that that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the infrastructure of the Site, or in any way attempt to interfere with the working of the Service or any activities conducted on the Service;
- Shall not directly or indirectly attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or underlying ideas or algorithms of any part of the Service, except to the extent applicable laws specifically prohibit such restriction;
- Shall not run Maillist, Listserv, or any form of auto-responder or “spam” on the Service
- Shall not alter any part of the Site other than in ways that may be reasonably necessary for You to use the Site for its intended purposes;
- Own or have the necessary licenses, rights, permissions and consent to use and authorize Lifespan.io to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all submissions to enable inclusion and use of the submissions across the Site;
- Will not submit material that is copyrighted or subject to third party proprietary rights, including, without limitation, privacy, publicity, trade secret, patent, trademark, copyright or any other intellectual or proprietary rights, unless You are the owner of such material or have the appropriate permission from the rightful owner of such material to specifically submit such materials to the Site;
- Grant each Lifespan.io user, whether using Lifespan.io or an application developed by Us or via a third-party developer, a non-exclusive license to access Your submissions through Lifespan.io and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such submissions as permitted through Lifespan.io’s functionality or under these Terms;
- Will not copy or distribute any part of any part of the Site in any medium without Our prior written authorization, which may be withheld in Our sole discretion;
- Shall not collect or use any personally identifiable information, including full names, physical addresses or e-mail addresses, except as permitted by these Terms (including, without limitation, for commercial purposes);
- Shall not post, upload, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish through the Site any content that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, deceptive, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable, as determined in our reasonable discretion;
- Affirm we have the right to determine whether any of Your submissions are appropriate and complies with these Terms, remove any and/or all of Your submissions, and terminate Your account with or without prior notice;
You may browse and view content on the Site without registering, but as a condition of using certain aspects of the Site, You may be required to register with Lifespan.io and select a password and screen name (a “username”). You shall provide accurate, complete, and updated registration information. Failure to do so shall constitute a breach of these Terms, which may result in immediate termination of Your account. You shall not use as a user name, domain name, or project name any name or term that (i) is the name of another person with the intent to impersonate that person; (ii) is subject to any rights of a person other than You without appropriate authorization; or (iii) is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene. We reserve the right, in our sole description, to refuse registration of or cancel a username, domain or project name. You are solely responsible for activity that occurs on Your account and shall be responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Lifespan.io password. You shall never use another user’s account without such other user’s express permission. You will immediately notify Us at [email protected] of any unauthorized use of Your account, or other known account-related security breach. To sign up for an account, you are required to be at least 18 years old, or old enough to form a binding contract where you live. If necessary, we may ask you for proof of age.
Longevity Research Project Fundraising
Lifespan.io is a venue for research project fundraising focused on the mechanics of aging and age-related disease. Lifespan.io allows certain users (“Researchers”, “Project Creators”, or “Research Project Creators”) to list projects (“Projects”) and raise funds from other users (“Contributors”, “Donors”, “Supporters”, or “Backers”). Rewards (“Rewards”) for such funding can be offered to Contributors by the Project Creators. Lifespan.io partners with other companies (the “Processors”), such as Stripe, for payment processing. When you donate to or create a Project, you are also agreeing to the payment processor’s terms of service. User credit card information is never stored on Our servers. Project Creators should not ask for personal information that is unnecessary to provide your reward, and should never request sensitive personal information such as your Social Security number or credit card information. Contact us at [email protected] if you receive a request for information that you believe to be unnecessary or inappropriate.
By launching a Project on Lifespan.io, Project Creators agree to be bound by our Fiscal Sponsorship Agreement.
Project Creators are legally bound to fulfill any Rewards. If you are unable to fulfill any of your Rewards, you will work with the Contributors to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution, which may include refunding their Contributions. In the event of any dispute, such as a Project Creator’s alleged failure to comply with the Terms or alleged failure in fulfillment of a Reward, we may provide the Project Creator’s contact information to the Contributor so that the two parties may resolve their dispute.
You acknowledge and agree that We shall not be liable for Your interactions with any organizations and/or individuals found on or through the Lifespan.io service, and You hereby release and waive any and all claims, demands and/or damages You may have or assert against Us arising from or related to any such interactions. This includes, but is not limited to, delivery of goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with listings on Lifespan.io. Lifespan.io is not responsible for any damage or loss incurred as a result of any such dealings. All dealings are solely between You and such organizations and/or individuals. Lifespan.io is under no obligation to become involved in disputes between Contributors and Researchers, or between site members and any third party. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, in the event of a dispute, You hereby release Lifespan.io, its officers, directors, employees, agents and successors in rights from any and all claims, damages and demands of every kind, known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and our service.
Though Lifespan.io cannot be held liable for the actions of a Researcher, Researchers are nevertheless wholly responsible for fulfilling obligations both implied and stated in any project listing they create. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to cancel, interrupt or suspend a project listing and refund all associated members’ payments at any time for any reason. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to remove a project listing from public listings for any reason.
Lifespan.io makes no guarantees regarding the performance or fairness of the Processors. Additionally, because of occasional failures of some credit cards, Lifespan.io cannot guarantee the full receipt of the targeted amount.
Research Project Creators may initiate refunds at their own discretion. Lifespan.io is not responsible for issuing refunds for funds that have been collected by Research Project Creators.
Fees and Payments
It is free to join Lifespan.io. However, we do charge fees for certain services. We do not charge fees to Contributors, but we do charge fees to Research Project Creators as a portion of the funds they raise. By using the Service you agree to our fees listed here: http://lifespan.io/pricing-and-fees. Changes to fees are effective after we post notice of the changes on the Service. Updated fees are applied to Campaigns launched after the notice is posted. We may choose to temporarily change the fees of our services for promotional events (for example, free listing days) or new services, and such changes shall be effective when we post notice of the temporary promotional event or new service on the Site. We are not responsible for the performance of the Processors.
You are responsible for paying all fees and applicable taxes associated with Your use of the Service. In the event a listing is removed from the Service for violating these Terms, all fees paid will be non-refundable, unless we determine, in our sole and absolute discretion, that a refund is appropriate.
It is solely Your choice to contribute to a Project. You understand that making a contribution to a Project does not give You any rights in or to that Project, including without limitation any ownership, control or distribution rights, and that the Researcher shall be free to solicit other funding for the Project, enter into contracts for the Project, allocate rights in or to the Project, and otherwise direct the Project in its sole discretion. You further understand that nothing in this Agreement or otherwise limits Lifespan.io’s right to enter into agreements or business relationships relating to Projects. Lifespan.io does not guarantee that any Project’s fundraising goal will be met. Any rewards offered to You are between You and the Researcher only, and Lifespan.io does not guarantee that rewards will be delivered or satisfactory to You. Lifespan.io does not warrant the use of any Project funding or the outcome of any Project.
Contributions to Projects are nonrefundable. Under certain circumstances Lifespan.io may, but is under no obligation to, seek the refund of Project funding if the Researcher misrepresents the Project or misuses the funds. You acknowledge and agree that any and all contributions You make are between You, the Researcher and the Processors only, and that Lifespan.io is not responsible for contribution transactions, including without limitation any personal or payment information You provide to the Processors.
As contributions are fiscally sponsored by the Service, you will automatically receive a tax receipt for donations made to any Lifespan.io projects. Please consult Your tax advisor with any received tax receipts for more information regarding the tax deductibility of your contributions.
Third Party Sites
The Site may permit You to link to other web sites or resources on the internet, and other web sites or resources may contain links to the Site. When You access third party web sites, You do so at Your own risk. These other web sites are not under Our control, and You acknowledge and agree that Lifespan.io is not responsible or liable for the content, functions, accuracy, privacy policies, legality, appropriateness or any other aspect of such web sites or resources. We encourage You to read the terms of service and privacy statements of each and every web site You visit. The ability to access information of third parties from Lifespan.io, or links to other web sites or locations, is for Your convenience only and the inclusion of any such link does not imply endorsement by Lifespan.io or any association with the operators of any third party web site. You further acknowledge and agree that Lifespan.io shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for, and You hereby release and waive any and all claims, demands and damages against Lifespan.io arising from or in connection with, any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with Your use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such web site or resource.
Content and License
You agree that the Site contains content specifically provided by Lifespan.io or its partners and that such Content is protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets or other proprietary rights and laws. You shall abide by and maintain all copyright notices, information, and restrictions contained in any content accessed through the Site.
Lifespan.io grants each user of the Service a limited, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable and non-transferable license to use, modify and reproduce the content, solely for personal, non-commercial use. Use, reproduction, modification, distribution or storage of any Content for other than personal, non-commercial use is expressly prohibited without prior written permission from Lifespan.io, which consent may be withheld at our sole discretion, or from the copyright holder identified in such content’s copyright notice. You shall not sell, license, rent, or otherwise use or exploit any Content for commercial use or in any way that violates any third party right.
Third Party Intellectual Property – Copyright Notifications
We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask You to do the same. If You believe that Your copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement and is accessible via the Service, please notify Lifespan.io’s copyright agent, as set forth in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (“DMCA”). For Your complaint to be valid under the DMCA, You must provide the following information in writing:
- An electronic or physical signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner;
- Identification of the copyrighted work that You claim has been infringed;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing and where it is located on the Site;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Lifespan.io to contact You, such as Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement that You have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or law; and
- A statement, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information is accurate, and that You are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
The above information must be submitted to Lifespan.io’s DMCA Agent at [email protected].
UNDER FEDERAL LAW, IF YOU KNOWINGLY MISREPRESENT THAT ONLINE MATERIAL IS INFRINGING, YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO CRIMINAL PROSECUTION FOR PERJURY AND CIVIL PENALTIES, INCLUDING MONETARY DAMAGES, COURT COSTS, AND ATTORNEYS’ FEES.
Please note that this procedure is exclusively for notifying Lifespan.io and its affiliates that Your copyrighted material has been infringed. The preceding requirements are intended to comply with Lifespan.io’s rights and obligations under the DMCA, including 17 U.S.C. § 512(c), but do not constitute legal advice. It may be advisable to contact an attorney regarding Your rights and obligations under the DMCA and other applicable laws.
In accordance with the DMCA and other applicable law, Lifespan.io has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances and at Our sole discretion, members who are deemed to be repeat infringers. Lifespan.io may also at its sole discretion limit access to the Service and/or terminate the accounts of any Users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.
Intellectual Property Rights – Research Project Creators
The Site provides You with the ability to upload, add, create, submit, distribute, collect, or post (“Submitting”, “Submission” or “User Submission”) Your videos, audio clips, written forum comments, data, text, photographs, software, scripts, graphics, or other information to the Site (collectively, the “User Content”). Lifespan.io will not have any ownership rights in Your User Content, however, Lifespan.io needs the following license to perform the services made available through the Site:
You hereby grant to Lifespan.io and each user of the Site the worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable and transferable license and right to (and to allow others acting on its behalf to) (i) use, host, display, perform and otherwise fully exploit the User Content including, without limitation, use, host, stream, transmit, playback, transcode, copy, display, feature, market, sell, distribute and otherwise exploit (“Host”) Your User Content, along with all associated copyrightable works or metadata, including without limitation photographs, graphics, and descriptive text in connection with the services made available through the Site; (ii) use, stream, transmit, playback, download, display, feature, distribute, collect, and otherwise use Your User Content; and (iii) use and publish, and permit others to use and publish, the name(s), trademarks, likenesses, and personal and biographical materials of You and the members of Your group, in connection with the provision of the services made available through the Site, in all cases on Your behalf and/or in connection with the Site and Lifespan.io’s (and our successor’s and assigns’) business including, without limitation, for promoting and redistributing all or part of the Site (and derivative works thereof) and the services made available on the Site in any media formats and through any media channels including, without limitation, third party web sites.
By Submitting any User Content to the Site, You hereby represent, warrant, acknowledge and agree that:
- You are publishing Your User Submission, and that You may be identified publicly by Your username in association with any such User Content;
- You (i) own or otherwise control all rights to all content in Your User Content, or that the content in such User Content is in the public domain, (ii) have full authority to act on behalf of any and all owners of any right, title or interest in and to any content in Your User Content to use such content as contemplated by these Terms and to grant the license rights set forth above, (iii) have the permission to use the name and likeness of each identifiable individual person and to use such individual’s identifying or personal information as contemplated by these Terms; and (iv) are authorized to grant all of the aforementioned rights to the User Content to Lifespan.io and all users of the Site;
- You agree to pay all royalties and other amounts owed to any person or entity due to Your Submission of any User Content to the Site;
- The use or other exploitation of such User Content by Lifespan.io and the use or other exploitation by users of the Site as contemplated by this Agreement will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including without limitation any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any kind; and
- You understand that Lifespan.io shall have the right, but not the obligation, to delete, edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, or translate any materials, content or information submitted by You; and that all information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Site is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated and that Lifespan.io will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any content; and that Lifespan.io cannot guarantee the identity of any other users with whom You may interact in the course of using the Site.
Without limiting the foregoing, to enable Lifespan.io to Host Your content pursuant to the above provisions, You hereby grant to Lifespan.io the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable right to use, reproduce, copy, and display Your trademarks, service marks, slogans, logos or similar proprietary rights (collectively, the “Trademarks”) solely in connection with the services made available through the Site.
You further acknowledge and agree that Lifespan.io does not endorse and has no control over any User Content. Lifespan.io cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data which users may provide about themselves. You acknowledge that all content accessed by You through the Site is at Your own risk and You will be solely responsible for any damage or loss to any party resulting therefrom.
Lifespan.io may terminate Your access to all or any part of the Site at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with Your membership. If You wish to terminate Your account, You may do so by following the instructions on the Site, but we may retain your account information after you terminate in accordance with our regulatory, accounting, and legal compliance procedures. Any fees paid hereunder are non-refundable. All provisions of these Terms which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
Lifespan.io has no special relationship with or fiduciary duty to You. You acknowledge that Lifespan.io has no control over, and no duty to take any action regarding any of the following: which users gains access to the Site; what content You access via the Site; what effects the content may have on You; how You may interpret or use the content; or what actions You may take as a result of having been exposed to the content. You release Lifespan.io from all liability for You having acquired or not acquired content through the Site. The Site may contain, or direct You to web sites containing, information that some people may find offensive or inappropriate. Lifespan.io makes no representations concerning any content contained in or accessed through the Site, and Lifespan.io will not be responsible or liable for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in or accessed through the Site or the services made available through the Site.
THE SITE AND THE SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” AND ARE WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF PERFORMANCE OR USAGE OF TRADE, ALL OF WHICH ARE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED. LIFESPAN.IO, AND ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, SUPPLIERS, PARTNERS AND CONTENT PROVIDERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (A) THE SITE WILL BE SECURE, UNINTERRUPTED OR AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; (B) ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS WILL BE CORRECTED; (C) ANY CONTENT OR SOFTWARE AVAILABLE AT OR THROUGH THE SITE IS OR WILL BE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS; OR (D) THE RESULTS OF USING THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS. YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. LIFESPAN.IO FURTHER DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE OR RECEIVED THROUGH ANY LINKS PROVIDED BY THE SITE, AS WELL AS FOR ANY INFORMATION RECEIVED FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR ANY LINKS RECEIVED THROUGH THE SITE.
SOME STATES OR COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND ALL SUBMISSIONS OF USER CONTENT SHALL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Electronic Communications Privacy Act Notice (18 USC § 2701-2711): LIFESPAN.IO MAKES NO GUARANTY OF CONFIDENTIALITY OR PRIVACY OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR INFORMATION TRANSMITTED ON THE SITE OR ANY WEB SITE LINKED TO THE SITE.
Lifespan.io will not be liable for the privacy of email addresses, registration and identification information, disk space, communications, confidential or trade-secret information, or any other content stored on Lifespan.io’s equipment, transmitted over networks accessed by the Site, or otherwise connected with Your use of the Service.
You shall, at Your sole expense, defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Lifespan.io, its affiliates and each of its, and its affiliates employees, contractors, directors, suppliers and representatives from any and all liabilities, claims, damages, judgments and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, that arise from or relate to Your use or misuse of, or access to, the Site, the services or content made available through the Site, Your Submission of User Content, or otherwise from Your use of the Site, violation of these Terms, or infringement by You, or any third party using Your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. Lifespan.io reserves the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by You, in which event You will assist and cooperate with Lifespan.io in asserting any available defenses.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL LIFESPAN.IO, OR ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS, REPRESENTATIVES OR CONTENT PROVIDERS, BE LIABLE UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY, NEGLIGENCE OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE OR THE SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM, ANY (I) LOST PROFITS, DATA LOSS, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES (HOWEVER ARISING), (II) BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE (REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE OF ORIGINATION), OR (III) DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF (IN THE AGGREGATE) ONE-HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS ($100.00). SOME STATES OR COUNTRIES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Accessing the Site is prohibited from territories where such Content is illegal. If You access the Site from other locations, You do so at Your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.